Supply Chain Planning and Production Scheduling for Recyclable Packaging
Industry Product Packaging
Location North America
Production Efficiency as a Competitive Advantage
Leading provider of recyclable plastic packaging, making PVC films, disposable products (e.g. plastic Cutlery and Straws), aluminum products, PVC and polycarbonate construction products. Essential competence relies on committing to short service time at a competitive low cost. The industry production process is characterized by:
- A mix of “make-to-stock” and “make-to-order” products
- Tight warehouse capacity due to low-value/high-volume products.
Before DecisionBrain, the planners performed production planning manually. However, they encountered difficulty to account for all complexities:
- Coordination across multiple plants
- Production of intermediate and final products
- Heterogeneous maturities and shelf lives
- Tight warehouse capacity
Solution | Result
A problem of limited warehouse capacity. A solution of synchronized production.
DecisionBrain developed a fully integrated planning and scheduling solution that considered all work centers at the same time to define the optimal solution, while respecting manufacturing capabilities and constraints. The solution consists of two major components: a production master planning engine and a scheduling engine. Production Master Planning: This engine has visibility over all plants and includes all critical requirements. It embeds different complexities such as:
- Machines, tools, raw materials and warehouse specs
- Material shelf life and maturity
- Cross plants redistribution with transportation costs
Scheduling Engine: This engine not only defines an efficient work center scheduling that maximizes demand satisfaction, but also ensures consistency with the long term view of the Master Plan, providing several benefits:
- Target inventory levels, as defined by the Master Plan
- Intermediate and final production synchronization
- Adherence to all capacity constraints
- Low material waste
- Possibility to easily react to unexpected events, for example, machine breakdowns
Integrated Supply Chain Planning and Production Scheduling
Related Customers Stories
Mar / 2020
Smart Supply Chain and Planning for Apparel
U.S.based apparel company founded in 1889. Traditionally, known...
Mar / 2020
Parallel Computing for a Pulp and Paper
DecisionBrain was tasked with providing dedicated R&D consulting...
Mar / 2020
Paint Line Scheduling for Auto Parts
DecisionBrain produced a scheduler that applies operational constraints,...
Speak with an Expert
Book a personal demo or speak with one of our product managers to learn more.